03 October 2012

Possible Solution!

I met up with my friend Andrew at lunch (I feel sorry for him, we never actually had lunch) and I had to post some things first, then I thought I should have a quick look in WHSmiths and Waterstones at the diaries to get some ideas, there wasn't much in WHSmiths, other than a Colins Elite diary which I have used before but it was too restrictive as all you could have was the diary and that was pretty much it.

We went in to Waterstones and this is where things got picture heavy and interesting.

I bought the Filofax Flex back when it first came out because of the hype, but the diary that came with it started in July, and it was beginning to mid June, therefore it was unusable for a month, in this time I completely lost any care for it as I never used it, I made a list or two but that was all!

I decided I should have a look at the sizes as I was considering using a Slim as my new diary, I thought it was bigger, oh how I was wrong, I have taken a photo with all three sized on top of each other, the Slim and Pocket are virtually the same size. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!

Untitled

Untitled

It was hard to balance therefore Andrew had to hold them!

Untitled

You can see little Lexie looking all pretty!

As you can see the difference is minimal!!!

I asked Andrew to borrow his Filofax (which upon seeing it I was horrified you shall see why in a minute)

He has a Pocket Metropol by the way!

Untitled

Slim comparison with Pocket Filofax (I would of thought Slim to be Personalish sized)

Untitled

To my horror he has written on the front of his Filofax (yes I "gently" persuaded him to buy a Filofax on day over Facebook)

It would have to be A5 for me!

I looked at the diary, as I already have a 2012 diary I could start using now!

Untitled

Untitled

The format has not changed by then it came to my mind... I could use ANY DIARY, so I had a look upstairs at Moleskines!

Untitled

Untitled

I quite like this week to view diary!!!!

I ran downstairs thinking, I should compare the size to see if it would fit, and to my amazement the standard size fits!! The larger would not!

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

The Cahier note books are quite cute as well, and if it was a little wide I could trim down the cardboard!

Untitled

They come in a variety of colours and styles too so it means they would be a good option.

When I got back to my office I remembered that Paperlovestory did a blog post about some notebooks that she used for her Affair, which was like a Flex but had rings, Artbox Haul, Review of Artbox Notebooks. As they are cheap they could be an alternative option for the Flex!

Next thing I thought was I have my Papelote elastic band for an A5 notebook, which would work perfectly with a Flex, and finally, if I needed an extra place to put notebooks (as I am only going to use thin ones) I could always use an elastic band Midori Travelers style.

I am thinking of buying a Leather Flex cover as it will be more Flexible and also I really love the Blackcurrent Leather cover.

So that is my possible resolution to my whole issue as I could use a huge range of different notebooks/diarys all in one cover and it would be leather and still the Filofax brand.

What do you think?

Remembering the whole reason I am moving away from Filofax is due to the rings, and I can use sticky notes so I can move things around and paperclips and bulldog clips, as Tracy (Icclewu) knows I have lots of Bulldog clips!

8 comments:

  1. I feel so privileged to be linked to twice hehe :) I hope you find a solution that works for you. I've been quite disappointed with the wear and tear of the Teal and Jade Finchleys after only two years of intermittent and light use x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Immy, take a look at my guest post over on Ray's blog: http://mylifeallinoneplace.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/all-stars-guest-post-by-helen-flex-one.html

    I have been using a flex at work, with a leather cover. i am really pleased with it, and putting a moleskine in it is fine.

    I hope it works out for you!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you are 'moving away from Filofax', Imy. A myth of mine is falling? LOL. It was actually your videos and Neil's what got me back and totally hooked to ring organisers. (I'll tell the whole history in a guest post I'm finishing for Angela's Paperlovestory blog -note to self: take the pictures tomorrow.)

    You need to stay using ring organisers and making wonderful videos and blog posts about them. Really, you need to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's really nice! I think this could work out even better than I thought in the first place. I'd love to see your setup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love the blue metropol belonging to Andrew!

    I hope this works for you. I think the flex seems quite sensible but I'm not sure I could make it work for my needs. I did consider the slim size as a wallet with a notebook inside, but decided it was probably slightly too large.

    Two posts with Metropols on your blog in one week is making me seriously consider buying one. They looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Imy. I feel your pain. I have received eight defective Filofax organizers in the last year and am heart broken. I would certainly keep your Amazona and Regency because you never know if you might want to use them again and you won't have to go through another defect frustration. I would try a very colorful bound planner that you love with lots of extra notes pages to see if you can cope with no rings before you purchased a Midori since cost is an issue. I'm sure you could find one under $20.00. I personally am trying out a Franklin Covey compact slim with Blooms pages for 2013. I'm finding it very pleasant to write in and use. If you would like more details about it just ask. But whatever you decide, best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Josh said...
    'I love love love the blue metropol belonging to Andrew!'

    So do I. I like the Metropol a lot, specially the slimline. I like the fact it doesn't have a fastener and that it's only slightly wither than the personal sized inserts, which makes it the perfect size to carry it with me all the time.

    The only thing I would like is a bit larger ring size. Probably the compact has the right size for me, but it has the closing fastener, which I rather prefer not to have.

    Do you guys know if there is any personal sized organiser with medium size rings and without the fastener (narrow)? I think that'd make my perfect sized binder.

    ReplyDelete