13 December 2012

One Diary for 2013 - The Ideas?

As you all know I am going to use just one Diary for 2012, and I have decided this will be a Filofax.

The reasons I am not going to change is because:

    - I need to keep track of overtime & holiday at work properly (Have a huge issue with this atm)

    - I need to keep track of my money

    - I need to just know what I have done when..

    - I need to be able to look back when I last went to the Doctors etc...

And no I cannot use two diaries as they would never be in sync at all, I can only use ONE at a time!

So it has lead me to thinking.... Personal or Pocket the reasons for this are as follows:

Personal

Its large

Holds a lot

Larger rings

Pocket

Easier to carry everywhere

Smaller

Enough space to write

Cute

The cons of each organiser are....

Personal

Too bulky sometimes

If I need to use on the move can be a bit too large 

Heavy

Pocket

Could be too small

Not as much room on the rings, would need to use twice as much paper for notes, or just write smaller

So this is my predicament...

I need the Filofax to do the following:

  • Have a whole YEAR week to view
  • Maybe a Month to View (years worth too)
  • To do lists
  • Notes 
  • Fiance sheets
  • Track other things
  • Lists - Birthdays 
  • Addresses 
  • Random things which I decide

But if I went for pocket I do not need to use dividers, I can use the tabs, but I am tempted to buy some from Japan Corner for which ever I decide to stay in! Also thinking of getting the Month to view from Japan Corner too (I am not linking as I don't want it to sell out before I decide hehe) {sneakkyyyy}

To go Pocket or Personal for 2013?

I have ordered a Piazza from Rymans very cheaply just to see what the size is like, if I don't like it I will sell it on ebay, but I do not think I will get it as I searched on their website and nothing came up. I could end up falling in love with it? You never know.

So reading what you have what do you think I should go for??

Steve told me you can hold 220 pages in a Pocket... is that enough? How does that even look?? (NO IDEA)

Do I go for Pocket Malden as the leather has the most give? or a Finchley? or a Adelphi (I love the Adelphi design and emailed someone on AdSpot on Philofaxy, awaiting a reply still, as I want it)

Once I decide on the Diary and inserts I have to stick with it for a whole year, but I have two weeks to decide what to stick with...

Also a side note about the Pocket - I have tons of Hello Kitty Inserts for Pocket Filofaxes...

Also I have the hole punch that is adjustable so I can make pocket or personal inserts (so thats the least of my worries)

I am thinking of cutting up some of my spare Midori notebooks and using them as Filofax paper once I decide (AS I LOVE THE PAPER)

END OF TRAIN OF THOUGHT.......

Please reply below!!! URGENT MATTERS AFOOT! (afoot may not be the right thing to say, not idea just wanted to put that at the end I felt it thats all... sorry if I have made a complete idiot of myself!!!)

20 comments:

  1. 1. You have the lovely Osterly so use that as the 'mother ship'.

    2. Get a slimline you love and use that when space is at a premium (i.e. when going out with a small bag). You can just pop in your diary, then move it back when you go back to your larger bag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the pocket for the last two weeks of this year and then decide on the 31st of December? ;) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just going to come right out and say it- based on your previous experiences with a pocket, I think you should go with a personal. You should look back and see how long you stayed in a pocket. If its less than a month, a pocket won't work for a whole year. Plus- you weren't able to stay with a compact either because you needed more room. Stay with the beautiful osterly! You wanted to have that one back so badly... I think you can make it work :)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just going to come right out and say it- based on your previous experiences with a pocket, I think you should go with a personal. You should look back and see how long you stayed in a pocket. If its less than a month, a pocket won't work for a whole year. Plus- you weren't able to stay with a compact either because you needed more room. Stay with the beautiful osterly! You wanted to have that one back so badly... I think you can make it work :)
    Good luck!
    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd go for a pocket with the biggest rings you can find, Malden is ideal, because it also has the other pockets for bits and bobs,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Angela, take the Pocket for a test drive with everything you need in it for the next two weeks and see if you like it. I considered the pocket myself for portability reasons but can't imagine fitting everything I need in there. Plus, I could never write that small! Good luck with finding the right Filo size to bring the new year in with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What happened to that beautiful Plum Osterly? I say
    use that. Although I go back and forth between a personal and pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What about your beautiful personal Osterly? Didn't you promise to use that for 2013?

    I've used a Franklin Covey Compact with 1.25 rings for the last 20 years so the personal size Filofax seems really small to me.

    Maybe you should just roll the dice and see which one comes up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go for the pocket, but cut your paper bigger. It can be almost as wide as personal size, and as tall as the pocket binder (9 x 14 cm is nice).

    I moved out of the personal & into a pocket size recently...it's so much better! Nicer proportions, smaller, perfect match with pocket moleskines. Couldn't do it if I had to use the official too-small paper, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I say test drive the pocket for the rest of 2012 maybe and then see what you think. I know (from your newest post) that a personal won't fit in your amazing new HK satchel, but do you think a pocket might still be bulky in the bag? I don't have a pocket so I can't compare. But that's my advice--test drive for the rest of 2012 (even if that is only a week or two) and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just 3 weeks ago you signed a declaration that you were using the Osterley that Filofax sent you for all of 2013. Personally - when you are writing that you need to monitor your spending....dont be buying more Filofaxes (pocket) that you will likely use for only a short time. Are you still using the Midori or the German planner you got? I would stick with one of the planners you already have rather than keep buying new stuff. Plus - didnt you try a pocket recently and fail?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just 3 weeks ago you signed a declaration that you were using the Osterley that Filofax sent you for all of 2013. Personally - when you are writing that you need to monitor your spending....dont be buying more Filofaxes (pocket) that you will likely use for only a short time. Are you still using the Midori or the German planner you got? I would stick with one of the planners you already have rather than keep buying new stuff. Plus - didnt you try a pocket recently and fail?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tricky... I don't always have my filo with me, but I think personal is too big unless you have a ginormous bag. I agree with the others, maybe try out the Piazza but maybe slimline could be a way forward with the personal as the 'mother ship' like Alison says :)

    However, it seems your Hello Kitty bag has helped with your decision anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you like nice paper, want to maximise paper size and need to keep the binder reasonably small, I recommend hole punching 90mm x 140mm sheets from cheap Rhodia notebooks (try Bureau Direct, who do free delivery on orders above five quid). The paper is fountain pen friendly and works out much cheaper than filofax paper if you buy the card bound booklets at, last time I looked, £1.35 each.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i think if you're jonesing for a pocket, then go to pocket. but NEVER close the door on moving out again. i'm a one book kind of a gal but it's that one book at that particular time, not just one book FOREVER AND EVER. anyway - thought you should also know that pocket midori inserts fit really nicely in pocket filos with full length pockets. like the malden for example, a pocket midori insert will be allright in there. you could put the full year mo2p midori in one of the filo pockets which will give you some room on the rings. or maybe a blank one for notes and stuff. i had a graph in the back of the my former beloved pocket luxe for awhile. fits perfect - the size is a little larger than the flex inserts. shit i should just go take some pics for you. stay tuned to flickr...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've used a personal Adelphi (not the slim) for the last year and it holds a ton! Plus it take it everywhere with me, it sits in the cart with my shopping list when I'm getting groceries. I would go with a personal size one if you really only want to have one organizer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I also cast my vote for the Personal- when I was shopping for my very first filo I had a hard time deciding for just the same reasons you listed. I chose the Personal and I'm really happy with the size and capacity. I recently found a pocket sized filo at a thrift store for $1.25 and I'm having fun using it as a little list holder filo but I can't imagine putting everything I need in that tiny thing!

    ReplyDelete